Tuesday, May 8, 2012

L'arc en Ciel 20th Anniversary World Tour

May 2nd, 2012 is perhaps one of the day of the year that certainly I will always remember. It's the time when, finally, I watch L'arc en Ciel live!


I know L'arc en Ciel since I was in 2nd grade of middle school. Some of my friend at the time were into this band. And the simple and britpop worshiper me, didn't understand the fascination. It was not until I was in highschool I actually listen to their music, and I love it!

Some people called them freak and weirdo, oh... yes, they're quite a weirdo, but that's what make them uniquely remarkableL'arc en Ciel is the one that mainstreaming rock music in their homeland, Japan. Bring rock music to a wider audience through anime and movie. And among others, they are the one that introduce japanese rock music scene to the world. I bet on my hat that every non japanese j-rock fans starting with listening to L'arc en Ciel.


Last wednesday show at Lapangan D Senayan Jakarta is as impressive as I imagine they will be. They open the concert with mesmerizing video introducing their world tour, then introducing the member -which we all cielers has already familiar with- through an alien inspiring video. And with a scene which a butterfly fly to Hyde's hand... a slow intro to 'Ibara no namida' played, then Hyde's soothing voice can be heard and the audiences go crazy! I was stunned, not quite believe that the show starting and that I heard him sing live. They played 19 songs in total, spans from their 20 years career. From the old tracks like 'Honey', 'Niji' and 'Anata', to the newer one like 'Drink it down', 'Chase' and 'XXX', and also their widely popular songs like 'Stay Away', 'Ready Steady Go''the 4th Avenue Cafe' and 'Hitomi no Juunin'. It all beautifully played and amazing.

My favourite moment is when the audience asking for an encore. Through the drizzling rain, the whole  arena sing to 'Anata' in unison, without command. After some minutes, the romanization lyrics of 'Anata' appeared in the giant screen and then the band start playing the song. It was magical, bring tears to my eyes and some fans were crying out loud through the song. The band then play another 3 songs including 'The 4th Avenue Cafe' that highly popular in Indonesia as the soundtrack for Rurouni Kenshin anime. They ended the 2 hours concert with 'Niji' and some talk about how happy they are and that they will comeback here.

I stay in the arena for a while after the concert ended, still hoping that with some miracle they come back to the stage and play another one or two songs. My feet hurt, my throat dry from all the screaming and sing along, and I'm starving. But for sure, I am happy, it is a truly exciting experience. I'm sure that most of the audiences is a longtime fans of L'arc en Ciel and has waiting for this moment for a long time, and I'm also sure that they feel as happy as I am at the time and that all that waiting is worth it. I hope they will include Indonesia in their next world tour, and I hope it won't be another 11 years till I can watch them live again.




No comments: